this mouth aint for kissin this mouth is for flawless lipstick n cussing
Massive sinkhole swallows house in Florida
De Soto actually put the word Appalachian on the map in 1540 because of the Native American group Apalachee. And there has been - in the late 1880s, 25 percent of the coal mining workforce in southern West Virginia was African-American. There were people coming from all over the world recruited by the coal industry. So I would say there were Spanish speakers from the late 1800s, early 1900s in the coal industry all through Appalachia.
If you walked down the streets of Harlan in the 1920s or earlier, you would’ve heard over 25 different languages spoken. So Appalachia is a much more multicultural and diverse region and always has been than it’s portrayed in the media. Those portrayals are very persistent and pernicious of a homogeneous region.
And that’s one reason why I wanted to start this project, “Las Voces de los Apalaches,” to create a platform through which people could talk about their own identities and choices to be in the region, their experiences and perspectives because whole groups of people get silenced in the region.
That’s why the Affrilachian Poets movement started. Twenty years ago, Frank X. Walker and other poets - Nikky Finney and many others - started the Affrilachian Poets movement because African-American voices in Appalachia have also been silenced through those portrayals, as you said, of white Appalachians…
Have you looked in the greenhouse lately? Susanne Ussing
in case anyone was considering buying a shirt with that image, the man in the photo is requesting that people dont buy it
idk why police officers being monitored to make sure they’re performing their duties ethically and within legal parameters is such a controversial topic because if I recall they’re a fan of using the whole “if you’ve got nothing to hide you’ve got nothing to fear” shtick to justify harassing civilians it’s almost like they’re full of bullshit
logged into myspace and check out this gem from 2003 when i was really into mustaches
national moment of silence 2014 (for victims of police brutality)
share the following:
- share all the material you can; share this article on how to make a tear gas mask or this post on the rundown of the situation in ferguson or this livestream link to the peaceful protests in ferguson
- don’t you DARE make this about yourself or how you hate when people blame “all white people” for “the actions of a few corrupt cops”
- this is not about you THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU DO YOU HEAR ME THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE
- do you fucking understand me share all the shit you can to make noise about what’s going on but THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME TO GIVE SOME LENGTHY OPINION ABOUT HOW YOU HATE COPS WHEN YOUR LIFE IS NOT LITERALLY THREATENED BY OUR RACIST CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM EVERY DAY. THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME TO “SYMPATHIZE” WITH BLACK POCS ON HOW YOU LOVE TO JUST SAY “FUCK THE POLICE” TOO. THIS IS NOT SOME CUTE TREND.
- THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH AND THIS IS ABOUT ANTI BLACK RACISM AND IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU. DO NOT SPEAK OVER ANYONE.